Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

Written just for you

Very short fiction is becoming more and more popular, I imagine because of the trends of social networking.  Communications everywhere are becoming more truncated.  People are less likely with each passing year to spend the time to read a longish short story, essay, or even a long blog post.  So one could view the challenge in terms of how to communicate what you want to tell someone in fewer words, while still keeping the meaning true to your message.  Alternatively, you could frame the challenge in an entirely different way.

That is my goal here – not to simply chop words off of sentences while still saying the same thing, but to find ways to communicate a story or the theme of an essay using language that implies things not spoken, providing information that would otherwise require more words.  I realize that by doing so, each person’s story/essay is different from the next person’s, depending on how their experience, education or culture colors their reading.  Some might consider that a problem, but I love that!  You could consider that every story I write was written only for you, because no one else will read into it the exact same details and inferences.

I hope you enjoy this method of storytelling and essay writing.  And by all means, please continue to leave feedback.

Technorati Tags:

2 comments:

  1. I think you have mastered this concept. I truly love being able to read something "tight" and stunning that only takes a moment. I admit I have problems with the "and then we got in the car and drove to Louisville where we met up with George and Arlene at the local Mexican restaurant where we ordered margaritas and found out about their daughter Helen's upcoming wedding plans". We ordered mini tacos as appetizers and boy were they good. Then hubby said to me..." I mean really! These thing can go on for miles! And even if it was a personal letter, I'd get bored.

    I wish I had your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda. I too have trouble staying focused with writing that rambles on, even if it does eventually reach an interesting point. I wish more writers would apply the old Italian adage to their writing "Too much is too bad."

    ReplyDelete